Modern Age, as we all know, is a Jet Age. Life is moving in the fastest lane. There is no time to realize Who we are, who God is, and what is our relationship with God. We are quite busy in our efforts for good Eating, Sleeping, Mating and ways of defense.
As there are Short cut ways of studying, short cut ways of earning money, so May be there is a short cut way to approach God also!!
Yoga is the process of Linking ourselves with the Supreme. Ashtanga Yoga, as we all know, has 8 divisions, viz, Yama, Niyama, Aasana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dhaarna, Dhyana, Samadhi. It is mentioned in Bhagavad Gita, that a yogi should go to a secluded place, Lead a life of Celibacy, lay kusha grass , cover it with a deer skin, the platform neither too high or too low. Then sitting alone in a rigid posture, meditate in the middle of eyes.
Well, how many of us are willing to give this Yoga system a try? Even 5,000 years ago, when conditions were much favorable, Still Arjuna expressed his inability to practice such Yoga. Yoga practices have been different for different Ages. Like, in Satyuga, the form of Yoga was Meditation on Lord Vishnu. In Treta Youga, it was performing expensive sacrifices, in Dvapara Yuga, it was Elaborate Temple worship. In Kaliyuga, it is Chanting of the Holy Names.
Let us see what other Religions say about Holy Names..
1) Christ glorified the Holy name by saying, “Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy
2) Guru Nanak prayed, “ In the ambrosial hours of the morning, I meditate on the grace of the Holy
3) Muslims repeatedly chant the sacred name of God, “Allah”.
4) Buddhists also practice repetition of the name of Lord Buddha (namu amida butsu).
5) Sanatana Dharma also recommends repetition of the Holy Names of the Lord in the form of the Maha mantra, “Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare”.
Kali Santaran Upanishad says,
“Harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam
kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha: In this age of quarrel and hypocrisy, the only means of deliverance is the chanting of the holy name of the Lord. There is no other way. There is no other way. There is no other way”.